Saturday, May 3, 2014

Where Did You Come From?

For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them. How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I would count them, they are more than the sand. I awake, and I am still with you. (Psalm 139:13-18 ESV). A little boy had to write a report for school, so he went to his mother and asked, "Mom, where did I come from?" Surprised at hearing such a question from her child, the mother discreetly answered, "Um, the stork brought you." "And where did YOU come from?" the boy continued. "Well, the stork brought me, just like he brought you. Now go to your room. No more questions, please." But the boy persisted. "What about grandma? Where did grandma come from?" "Look, the stork brought grandma, the stork brought me, the stork brought you! Now go to your room. I do not want to talk about this any more!" So the little boy went to his room and began writing his report. "Our family hasn't had a normal birth in three generations..." Do you ever wonder how you got here? The world sometimes gives you answers that are about as unbelievable as "the stork brought you." However, the truth is that none of us got here by accident. You're not just a highly developed monkey. This morning’s reading is abundantly clear that we came here from the heart of God. He knew us before we were ever formed in our mother’s womb and we are "fearfully and wonderfully made.” Reducing the mysteries of the universe to something that we can measure is like parents telling small children tall tales so they'll stop asking questions. Don't let tall tales invented in the name of science rob you of your faith. No one knows exactly how God did it, but we know that God created everything, including you and I, and he knows each of us by name. Not only that, he loves and desires a personal relationship with each person he has created. He wants to have a personal relationship with you. The more I meditate on the wonder of creation, the more I am brought face-to-face with the reality of God’s grace and love. Even when I have rejected Him, He still loves me. When I have turned aside to follow my own way, He still loves me. There is nothing I can do to wipe out that love that motivated Him to make me! He made me wonderful in His eyes. Now I am being called to live up to that wonder in His power and grace. You are too! Are you willing to trust Him for the completion of His creation in you? It is the only way to fully realize the wonder of life!

No comments:

Post a Comment