Friday, May 2, 2014

Resumes

For to everyone who has will more be given, and he will have an abundance. But from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away. And cast the worthless servant into the outer darkness. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. (Matthew 25:29-30 ESV). Imagine you're on your church's search committee, investigating applicants desiring to pastor your congregation. Among the letters from candidates is the following letter: Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ; Grace and peace to you from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ. understanding that your pulpit is vacant, I'd like to be considered for the job. You see, I love to preach, even though my preaching tends to stir up quite a bit of controversy. In fact, one of my sermons caused a riot. Actually, I've never been able to stay in one place more than three years. My health isn't too good. I have what I call a "thorn in the flesh--and to be perfectly honest, I'm not much to look at. I can assure you, however, that this doesn't interfere with my ministry. I'm a bachelor by choice, never been married and never had any kids, but I'm surprisingly good at conducting family life seminars. If you do a background check on me--and I'm sure you will--you'll probably discover that I changed my name a while back, and I have been arrested a few times. But even in jail I was able to have a successful ministry. People tell me I'm quite a theologian, although I've never attended seminary. I hope you aren't looking for an administrator. I'm not too good at keeping records. And my memory's not too good. Sometimes I forget who I've baptized, for instance. But I'm a hard worker, although the things I want to do, I rarely do. And the things I don't want to do, I always end up doing. Go figure. But you know what? I've found that everything works out fine in the end for those who love God and are called according to his purpose. Praise be to God. Well, let me know if you are interested. I can start next week. By the way, I wrote this with my own hand. Grace to you all, Paul Would you call the Apostle Paul to pastor a church? God did. If God could use Paul, chances are he can use you. Remarkable talent and physical perfection are not prerequisites to being used by God. Most of the heroes of the Bible, in fact, were imperfect, inexperienced, unqualified, certainly not the kind of people we would have chosen to do the job. Their inadequacy, however, motivated them to depend upon God and to follow him in obedience. When you think you "have it all together," you tend do things your way instead of God's way. God isn't waiting for you to get good enough to serve him. He's waiting instead for you to say yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment