Saturday, May 24, 2014

Grace for Living and Dying

Jesus was walking in the temple, in the colonnade of Solomon. So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name bear witness about me, but you do not believe because you are not among my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. I and the Father are one.” (John 10:23-30 ESV). George Prins tells a story about a very ill woman. "Are you scared of dying?" the chaplain asked the bedridden lady. "No sir, I am not. But I was scared a few years ago when I became very ill was sent to the hospital and came close to death. I was frightened. But, my father, who died many years ago, always had a special way of saying my name, Anneke. No one else could quite say it like he did. As I lay in the room all alone on what I thought was my deathbed, I heard a voice calling, 'Anneke', the same way my father called me. 'Anneke' I heard but I knew it was not my father's voice and slowly it dawned on me that it was the voice of Jesus calling me. That gave me much comfort and strength; it was not long before I was convalescing at home. I was given the grace to live. Now I am going to die but God is now giving me the grace to die. Chaplain, God called me by my name. He knows my name, Anneke." As our reading this morning reminds us, God does know our names. Even more importantly, God desires to give us grace for living and dying. He gives us the grace to die the grace to accept death. "The grace to die?" you ask. The following true story illustrates this truth. John Martin, born on June 8, 1986, was given many presents as he fought the losing battle of leukemia. He enjoyed them and would often show them to his friend Brad. Five-year-olds have little comprehension of death. Yet, he decided, just before he died, to give his treasures to Brad. Indeed, he felt God saying, "It's time, John Martin, your toys are not that important any more. Come with Me." God gives both the grace to live and the grace to die. God desires that we ask for forgiveness for the messed up life we created. He then invites each one of us to enjoy the grace to live when we turn our lives to Him in service and praise. But there comes a time when we will all face death and for many of us, that may be a fearful moment. David knew that fear and so wrote: “Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for You are with me...You comfort me." (Psalm 23:4). Our mortality need not cause us concern. Listen to the Apostle Paul: "O death, where is your victory, O death, where is your sting?" (1 Corinthians 15:55). Whatever your age may be God gives you grace for all of your needs. He knows your name and nothing can snatch you away from His protection. Grace for living or dying is yours. Trust Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment