Sunday, July 14, 2024

You Can Count on Him!

 

I will sing of the steadfast love of the LORD, forever; with my mouth I will make known your faithfulness to all generations. For I said, “Steadfast love will be built up forever; in the heavens you will establish your faithfulness.” You have said, “I have made ma covenant with my chosen one; I have sworn to David my servant: ‘I will establish your offspring forever, and build your throne for all generations.’” (Psalm 89:1-4 ESV).

 

If someone is responsible, dependable, predictable, you can count on them to keep their word and do what they said they were going to do. These are people you can count on. When life is out of joint, we need someone to lead us through the chaos and confusion. Someone reliable. Someone we can count on. The Bible assures us that God is reliable. With God, “Yes” means yes and “No” means no. With God, promises are a sure thing. In other words, God is someone we can count on.

 

God made promises to King David: to love him forever, to make him the world’s greatest king, and to preserve his royal line. But by the time of our reading today (Psalm 89), David’s royal line has known nothing but trouble. Reality is completely out of joint. Surely this was cause for him to wonder whatever happened to the promises. His conclusion was simple: “I will sing of the steadfast love of the Lord forever” (v. 1).

 

Jesus was born into the royal line of King David. And he knew plenty of trouble. That trouble came to a head when he was crowned with thorns and nailed to a cross. A sign over his head said, “The King of the Jews” as a means of ridicule. It looked like another dead end for David’s line. Well, the story didn’t end there. Jesus rose from the dead! And forty days later he took his seat at the right hand of God the Father.

 

I’ve been very fortunate. I know I can count on every member of my family and I have been blessed with some friends who I am confident that they would come to my aid in any situation. Knowing that, while incredible, is completely eclipsed with the truth that I also have a Savior who will never leave me to fend for myself. He is faithful and ever present in every circumstance of life. He is King, now and forever. And, that’s why we can count on Him.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment