Friday, July 12, 2024

Peaceful Sleep

 

On that day, when evening had come, he said to them, “Let us go across to the other side.” And leaving the crowd, they took him with them in the boat, just as he was. And other boats were with him. And a great windstorm arose, and the waves were breaking into the boat, so that the boat was already filling. But he was in the stern, asleep on the cushion. And they woke him and said to him, “Teacher, do you not care that we are perishing?” And he awoke and rebuked the wind and said to the sea, “Peace! Be still!” And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm. (Mark 4:35-39 ESV).

 

About a month ago I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. My primary care physician ordered the sleep study and it recorded several episodes over a two night study when I simply stopped breathing. Along with the diagnosis came the necessity of getting a machine that would monitor and regulate my sleep. I must admit I was skeptical at first; however, once I became more familiar with the use of the machine, I discovered that I no longer was awakened by these episodes and now slept through the night relaxed and comfortably. There may be other reasons that keep me from sleeping peacefully, but it won’t be the sleep apnea.

 

Of course we’ve all experienced some of those things. You could be excited because you are planning to leave for a trip in the morning. You could be worried about the storm forecasted to come in overnight. Ot like the disciples in our reading today, you could be frightened of the storm that threatens to sink your boat. Whatever the reason, you can’t sleep. Your eyes are wide open, and you’re staring into the dark.

 

They turned to the aft of their little boat and saw Jesus was sound asleep during the storm. It was reminiscent of Psalm 4: “In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.” That verse connects with the gripping scene on the Sea of Galilee. There, on a small boat during a raging storm, Jesus is fast asleep. The boat rises and falls on the swells, taking on water, threatening to sink. The disciples’ hearts are racing with fear. But Jesus sleeps. He has no doubt that his Father will keep them all safe. As he lays down his head on a cushion, I imagine Jesus saying a trusting prayer: “In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.” When you have a hard time falling asleep (other than because of sleep apnea), remember Psalm 4. Pray those words with Jesus. Repeat them softly. As you do, welcome his presence. And may you sleep peacefully through the storm of your life.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment