Tuesday, July 16, 2024

The Better Way

 

I will sing of steadfast love and justice; to you, O LORD, I will make music. I will ponder the way that is blameless. Oh when will you come to me? I will walk with integrity of heart within my house; I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless. I hate the work of those who fall away; it shall not cling to me. A perverse heart shall be far from me; I will know nothing of evil. Whoever slanders his neighbor secretly I will destroy. Whoever has a haughty look and an arrogant heart I will not endure. I will look with favor on the faithful in the land, that they may dwell with me; he who walks in the way that is blameless shall minister to me. No one who practices deceit shall dwell in my house; no one who utters lies shall continue before my eyes. Morning by morning I will destroy all the wicked in the land, cutting off all the evildoers from the city of the LORD. (Psalm 101:1-8 ESV).

 

Our reading today is not a messianic psalm; however, it does make me think of Jesus. David is the author of this psalm. This is somewhat interesting given the very public sin and confession he was faced with in his life. At first, he sounds proud of his personal holiness. In fact, he seems a bit full of himself: “I will be careful to lead a blameless life” (v. 2). I do admire his level of commitment; however, he doesn’t seem to know the condition of the human heart very well.

 

He continues in the psalm expressing how he will distance himself from people who don’t measure up to his standards. And it’s not just passive distancing. He intends to drive unworthy people away (v. 8). And he will only exchange hospitality with people who are faithful, like himself (v. 6). Well, we know where that leads. His son, King Solomon reminds us that it is this kind of pride that brings destruction (cf. Proverbs 16:18). Look again at the quote from C. S. Lewis I’ve attached to today’s devotional: “Pride is a spiritual cancer. It eats up every possibility of love, contentment, or even common sense.”

 

I won’t take any space to remind you of the very public displays of such character in our day; however, I will remind you of the character of Jesus, because Jesus fills out the meaning of this psalm by turning it on its head. Jesus welcomed tears and kisses and perfume from a woman who was considered unworthy (cf. Luke 7:36-48). And when he offered the generous hospitality of forgiveness, it brought forth an outpouring of love from the woman. Jesus, the blameless one, ministered not only to the woman but also to his proud host. This is the better way. It is the way of humility and service.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment