Saturday, July 13, 2024

The Careful Listener

 

Make haste, O God, to deliver me! O LORD, make haste to help me! Let them be put to shame and confusion who seek my life! Let them be turned back and brought to dishonor who delight in my hurt! Let them turn back because of their shame who say, “Aha, Aha!” May all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you! May those who love your salvation say evermore, “God is great!” But I am poor and needy; hasten to me, O God! You are my help and my deliverer; O LORD, do not delay! (Psalm 70 ESV).

 

We all have had those times when we wondered if God hears our prayers? Well, the Bible is very clear that God always hears our prayers. Even during those times when we are not sure hwo to phrase our petitions, God hears “through our heart.” Of course, we are not always going to receive what we ask for, nor in the way we want. But we do have this assurance: “In all things God works for the good of those who love him” (cf. Romans 8:28). He always hears us.

 

Our reading today is framed by a single plea: “God, hurry up and help me!” David is in trouble. People want to kill him, or at least ruin him. So, he pleads for God’s help, saying, in effect: “Give me a reason to rejoice. Give me a reason to praise you” (v. 4).

 

When I read this psalm, I imagine Jesus on the most difficult night of his life. He knows that a cross awaits him, so he prays. He pleads with God: “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will” (Matthew 26:39). Three times he says that prayer. Minutes later he is arrested. The next morning, he is nailed to a cross to die.

 

Did God hear Jesus’ prayer? Did God answer his prayer? Hebrews 5 says Jesus was heard because he submitted himself to the will of God. And God’s will was that Jesus would die. In the death of Jesus, God was working “for the good of those who love him.” This knowledge became the foundation of the hope of the early disciples. It should be ours as well. He is the most careful listener. He hears us and works all things for our good! Trust Him!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment