Tuesday, September 29, 2026

The Beloved Disciple's First Epistle - Pt 4

By this we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before him; for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything. Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence before God; and whatever we ask we receive from him, because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him. And this is his commandment, that we believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us. Whoever keeps his commandments abides in God, and God in him. And by this we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit whom he has given us. (1 John 3:19–24 ESV).

 

I have worked with so many people over the years who expressed doubt about their relationship to God because of shame and guilt. I have often used a quick illustration to introduce the immense grace God shows through the death of Jesus. When someone begins to tell me their story of sin and failure I typically listen intently without interruption and when they are finished, I set my hands on the table between us palms up and ask, “What do you see?” Almost always I am met with a blank look and some response like, “Your hands.” Occasionally, I will be met with and adjective of “old” before they say “hands,” though that response is nearly universal. I then say, “Perhaps I wasn’t exactly clear. Let me ask the question another way. What do you not see?” They still stutter and stammer a bit and usually surrender with an “I don’t know what you’re asking.” It is then that I am able to say, “Well, there are no nail-prints.” From there I am able to refocus their thoughts on the grace and wisdom of our heavenly Father who is the only One qualified to judge; and, He has already placed all of His judgement and wrath on His only begotten Son which is conveyed to us in forgiveness and restoration.  

 

This is what the Apostle John is writing in our reading today. He provides all believers with profound reassurance of their salvation and relationship with God when they struggle with self-doubt and guilt. He notes that if our hearts condemn us, "God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything." (v. 20). When personal failures or heavy emotions make people feel unworthy, God's objective grace and omniscience offer a higher, forgiving truth.

 

John goes further and explains that a clear conscience allows us to approach God boldly and receive answers to their prayers. It teaches that spiritual security rests on God's unchanging character rather than fluctuating human feelings or lingering guilt. Of course there may be consequences of our sin that remain, but guilt and shame are not a part of that. The task of forgiving ourselves and moving forward in our journey, growing ever stronger in His presence, which allows us to walk as overcomers, resisting sin and glorifying the work of our Savior!

 

Perhaps it is time for you to lay the burden of guilt and shame at the Cross and reestablish your walk in Him! 

No comments:

Post a Comment