Sunday, August 2, 2026

The Difference a Day Makes

 

Open to me the gates of righteousness, that I may enter through them and give thanks to the LORD. This is the gate of the LORD; the righteous shall enter through it. I thank you that you have answered me and have become my salvation. The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone. This is the LORD’s doing; it is marvelous in our eyes. This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. (Psalm 118:19–24 ESV).

 

I almost hesitated to center today’s devotional around my birthday, but as I began thinking about it, the lord gave me a direction that might be helpful and encouraging to each of you. Since I have been a part of eight different decades I have seen many changes in culture, technology, and practice. Change has become an integral part of life and almost a guarantee. I’m always a bit surprised when I read one of those memes so often posted on social media that reference something from the past that was once very common and now is nearly non-existent. They’re still fresh in my memory, but then those things were very common in my experience.

 

However, “change” is not what drew my attention to a topic today. Our reading from Psalm 118 declares, “This is the day that the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it” (v. 24). I think we don’t do a very good job of that. At least I find myself taking this day for granted all too often. That leads to missing the wonder of God’s daily gifts and experiences.

 

Let me expand that thought a bit. Today’s attached picture was taken from the bypass from Pigeon Forge to Gatlinburg when Mary and I visited the mountains in the fall of 2022. The colors were beautiful and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. I remember thinking as we stopped often along the way through the mountains that that moment might be our last. It was not a maudlin thought; it was more of a thought about how unique each experience of life truly is. There have been many of those times in my life. My last deer hunt in Tennessee; my last day as an active pastor; the last day that my children would truly call “our” home “their” home. As your thoughts wander through your life’s experience, I’m sure you can think of many of those moments as well. I believe we need to be more intentional about the uniqueness of “this day.” No wonder the psalmist says, “Rejoice!” It is special because it is happening, not because it happened before.

 

Birthdays are not special because of our birth; they are special just as every day is. After all, this is the day the Lord has made! Celebrate that in your life, regardless of the actual circumstances you are experiencing! He has seen it, ordained it, and is making it so that it will produce good in your life! That’s the difference a day makes!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment