For this reason, because I have heard of your
faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints, I do not cease to
give thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers, that the God of our Lord
Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of
revelation in the knowledge of him, having the eyes of your hearts enlightened,
that you may know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the
riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the immeasurable
greatness of his power toward us who believe, according to the working of his
great might that he worked in Christ when he raised him from the dead and
seated him at his right hand in the heavenly places, far above all rule and
authority and power and dominion, and above every name that is named, not only
in this age but also in the one to come. And he put all things under his feet
and gave him as head over all things to the church, which is his body, the
fullness of him who fills all in all. (Ephesians 1:15–23 ESV).
Today’s reading is a prayer of the Apostle Paul on behalf of his readers and beloved members of a church he began and ministered to for nearly three years. It calls to my mind one of the reasons I write these little devotionals each day. It is my sincere desire that you hear what the Bible has to say to all of us who been called into the glorious adoption of our Heavenly Father. I hope that by reading these God would grant you to see the truth of Jesus and the infinite and eternal value of your relationship through him.
The specific truth that I desire for you
to embed in your life is the result of the resurrection of Jesus Christ from
the dead, and what became of him after his resurrection. This is what shows the
greatness of God’s power toward us now in this life. Perhaps you can remember
three words to capture this message: resurrection power now. This is
what Paul means in the phrase: “the immeasurable greatness of his power
toward us who believe” (v. 19).
I know that many of you may not feel
that power. It sounds idealistic. It sounds like religious hype. It sounds
vague and theoretical. It does not correspond to experience, and so you
instinctively feel like this message is like a piece of fiction. I don’t blame
you for feeling that way. But I hope that by God’s grace the word of God may
change your mind and your heart. I can’t. God can.
The Apostle Paul wants us to know three
things, and I merely want to point you to the third of these: “… that you may
know what is the hope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his
glorious inheritance in the saints, and, [the one we are concerned with] what
is the immeasurable greatness of his power toward us who believe.” He’s not
praying that we get the calling, or become heirs, or get the power. He is
saying: You have the calling; you are heirs; you have the power of God toward
you, and you don’t know them as you could and as you should. I want you to know
them. I am praying that you may “know …the immeasurable greatness of his power
toward you who believe” (v. 19). Paul is praying that we would be spiritually
experientially conscious of God’s power toward us as believers now. Read the
last two verses of this morning’s text. Paul lists these things Jesus has and
are now ours through Him.
Declare those in your life. Trust the
truth that God does not turn on His promises. He does not take back that which
is given. I close with one application. You have read my thoughts of the
dangerous powers of sin, especially the sin of pride in my life—and your life.
Now I add this. Mary and I are not unaware of our enemy. We know that Satan and
his hordes are real. They hate us. They hate our faith. They hate our worship.
They hate our marriage. They hate our children. They hate our ministry. If you
want to know—experientially know—what verse 19 means, if you want Paul’s prayer
answered in your life that you will “know the immeasurable greatness of his
power toward us who believe,” then wake up to the demonic battle that rages for
your soul, your marriage, your children, your ministry every day. Declare what
has already happened… we have won the victory in Jesus!


No comments:
Post a Comment