Tuesday, June 25, 2024

No Fear!

 

Strengthen the weak hands, and make firm the feeble knees. Say to those who have an anxious heart, “Be strong; fear not! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God. He will come and save you.” Then the eyes of the blind shall be opened, and the ears of the deaf unstopped; then shall the lame man leap like a deer, and the tongue of the mute sing for joy. For waters break forth in the wilderness, and streams in the desert; the burning sand shall become a pool, and the thirsty ground springs of water; in the haunt of jackals, where they lie down, the grass shall become reeds and rushes. And a highway shall be there, and it shall be called the Way of Holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it. It shall belong to those who walk on the way; even if they are fools, they shall not go astray. No lion shall be there, nor shall any ravenous beast come up on it; they shall not be found there, but the redeemed shall walk there. And the ransomed of the LORD shall return and come to Zion with singing; everlasting joy shall be upon their heads; they shall obtain gladness and joy, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away. (Isaiah 35:2-10 ESV).

 

Some years ago, I was able to do the Texas Motor Speedway Driving Experience (see picture attached). It consisted of several hours of instruction and a ten-lap drive in a stock car at 160 mph! It was a thrilling experience to say the least. I remember thinking as I was putting on the fireproof suit and helmet one thing: “Don’t Crash!” I climber in the window of the driver’s seat and saw the instructor already seated in the passenger seat. We began to slowly move through the pit area and on to the track. When I shifted into the final gear we were making the second turn at about 120 mph. The instructor said, “Turn into the wall for the turn.” My thought was “WHAT?” But I did as he instructed, and the incline and speed made it easier to navigate the turn. By the time I was coming out of next straight-away I was going 160 mph and things were happening very fast. It was terrifying and exhilarating all at the same time.

 

Our reading today reminds me that I have “an instructor” riding along with me in my life path. There is no danger that He hasn’t faced and overcome. In many passages Isaiah warns of destruction that will come to God’s people if they don’t turn back to living God’s way. But this chapter brims with joy and confidence for all who remain faithful, seeing that God’s way is best. They are redeemed and restored by God. Listening to Him gets me to the finish line for the checkered flag of eternal life!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment