Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Crossing the Raging Waters

 

But now thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. (Isaiah 43:1-2 ESV).

 

I can’t imagine what it must have been like for the Israelites as they set out from Egypt. They were finally free but had no idea of how they would settle in their new land. In fact, they weren’t even sure how they would get there. It must have been terrifying for them to walk to the banks of the Red Sea that seemed impassable. Behind them they also saw the cloud of dust raised by the pursuing chariots of the army of Pharoah. Their choices seemed to be limited to drowning in the sea or being slaughtered by the Egyptians. How little they knew of the power of their God. We make the same mistake all too often.

 

In this passage from Isaiah, God assures his people of his presence and protection. When the challenges and crises of life stand in their way like a rushing river, says the Lord, “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.” Using the imagery of surging waters and raging fire, God promises that his people will not be overwhelmed. Later in this chapter, God recounts how he kept Israel safe from the deep waters and the army of Pharaoh when they crossed the Red Sea (cf.  Exodus 14). God also promises to protect his people from the surging destruction of their own sins. He promises to blot those sins out and to remember them no more.

 

You may have had some of the same “raging waters” to cross as I have. I suppose that’s one of the advantages of living seven and a half decades. And, they are advantages… I have also seen God bring me safely to the next part of my journey. The key is in my experience of the truth that God, who created us and knows our weaknesses, promises to love us and protect us from dangers both outside and within our own hearts. God has never failed to fulfill His promise to keep and protect me from all of life’s challenges. My prayer for you is that you will know that same assurance!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment