Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Happy Birthday, Mary!

 

Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up! Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone? And though a man might prevail against one who is alone, two will withstand him—a threefold cord is not quickly broken. (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 ESV).

 

Happy Birthday, Mary! I’m always a little challenged to do the birthday devotionals, especially for Mary. We have celebrated over half a century of these days together, and I’ve been writing these devotionals for over thirty of those years. I am loathe to repeat devotionals, even though it may have been a long time since I published it. So, today I am going to one of my favorite passages from a very familiar passage from Solomon. While some may have experienced another outcome than that which he begins this passage with (… two are better than one) that has not been my experience. In fact, all of what this wise king writes has been the tale of my life. When I have fallen, she has picked me up; when I have been rejected (cold), she has warmed my soul; she has been the intertwined cord that has made me stronger than I could have imagined possible!

 

Some might be tempted to ask what our secret has been through the years. There have been many little things that have contributed to my unwavering belief that we are indeed better together than apart; however, that which seems to be the one solidifying factor is her unwillingness to accept anything but the truth that God’s intention for us is to be together. Knowing that God has given us each other and our children and grandchildren has produced a strength that is unmistakably powerful. If you know her at all, you know this to be true. It is not accidental that she has garnered the reputation of being a “she-bear.” And I will tell you that if anyone mistakes her quiet nature to be a weakness in protecting her family, they will be making an irrevocable destructive choice. She is no little bear in this regard. She is a grizzly! This is a wonderful characteristic for others to aspire to in life!

 

Greater than her protective nature, however, is the love she has for us, and the love we have for her. I cannot imagine what I would do without her. So, Happy Birthday, Mary! I pray for many more yet to be! Two absolutely are better than one!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment