Sunday, June 16, 2024

Happy Father's Day

 

He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us. As a father shows compassion to his children, so the LORD shows compassion to those who fear him. (Psalm 103:10-13 ESV).

 

I often avoid writing devotionals on Mother’s Day or Father’s Day; however, I felt that there is a principle that would provide encouragement to all of us as we observe this day. Of course, I understand the trauma and difficulty that some have experienced from their parents. This should not deter us from celebrating our ultimate Father in heaven.

 

My Dad (pictured here) would have been 109 years old if he were still living. His death came in 1974, just months before our oldest son was born. I have often thought how proud he would have been to have been able to see all our children as they have grown to be such fine men. However, I do know his faith has secured him and we will see him in our time one day.

 

Reminiscing brings me to our reading today. Much of my own fierce regard for family was modeled for me by Dad. This is the truth of the character of God we see revealed in the Scripture. I love the first verse of the selected reading: “…He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities.” The psalmist is reminding us of the immeasurable grace and mercy God has shown to us in the work of Christ on the cross and in the resurrection. When I begin to feel the guilt or shame of my failures, I immediately go to the truth that He has paid the price for every one of them. They are forgiven and forgotten in His grace.

 

We are His children, His family. Because of that, no good thing is withheld from us. Even when it seems like everything is falling apart, God knows our heart and works every experience for our good (cf. Romans 8:28). Celebrate the dads in your life, and remember the greatest Dad is your heavenly Father!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment