Monday, May 27, 2024

Fear and Anxiety - Pt. 4

 

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the LORD forever. (Psalm 23:1-6 ESV).

 

Today we come to one of my favorite psalms. Perhaps it is a favorite of yours as well. Many believers throughout the centuries have relied on the encouragement and comfort of these words. Having been through my own “valley of the shadow of death” and walking with countless others at such dark times I have learned that the psalmist is not writing esoterically. He speaks from his experience knowing that there are times in this life that simply overwhelm us in such a way as to completely disable us. It is then that these promises are such a blessing.

 

Everyone will eventually experience a dark valley in which they will especially sense the need for Jesus, the good shepherd. This psalm speaks of the shepherd who leads us to comfortable places, refreshes our souls, and lavishes us with love and blessings. And when we face times of suffering caused by disappointments or devastating blows, our protector comes to help and comfort us.

 

Whatever circumstances you face, physical illnesses, financial setbacks, relational betrayals, all of these are under the watchful care of our Father in heaven. His promise to us is to never leave us helpless or alone. When we enter the darkest valleys amid serious illness, stress, loss, worry, and other struggles, we can find much comfort in the prayer of Psalm 23. We have the blessed assurance that God is with us and cares for us. We have no need to fear.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment