Thursday, May 18, 2023

I Need Your Help

 

The word of the LORD came to Jeremiah a second time, while he was still shut up in the court of the guard: “Thus says the LORD who made the earth, the LORD who formed it to establish it—the LORD is his name: Call to me and I will answer you, rand will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known.” (Jeremiah 33:1-3 ESV).

 

I never seem to find myself without a way of being humbled because of my actions. After the heart catheterization and returning to my room to rest for the evening, I was awakened by a technician coming to draw blood. She gently woke me by touching my shoulder. I opened my eyes and she said, “Your’ gown is sopping wet.” And it was. I said, I must have had a chill. They are not uncommon to me. She was very cheerful and told me she need to get some blood for lab tests. I merely offered both my arms and said, “Your choice” and smiled a bit. I didn’t feel bad, but I was cold and clammy feeling. She helped me into the gown and got her sample leaving me to fall asleep. A while later I woke up and felt disoriented and a bit panicked. I thought, “no problem” you can handle this. Think your way through it. That didn’t work! I reached for the call button and the nurse answered, “May I help you?” I said, “I need help please.” She said, “What seems to be wrong. I answered, “I don’t know.”

 

A nurse arrived quickly and asked, “What seems to be wrong?” Remember that I had just had the heart catheterization and angioplasty. They were worried I was having a heart attack. She was checking monitors, double-checking blood pressure and other vitals, as I said, “I don’t know. I feel disoriented and strange.” The more she talked me through my symptoms, the more I knew what had happened. I had a panic attack. With the lights now on and someone in the room with me, my anxiety began to subside. She was looking through the chart on the computer and said, “You didn’t have any of your evening medications, did you?” Well, one of those little white pills is specifically for anxiety and claustrophobia. In a matter of a few minutes, I realized what was happening and I was able to make the corrections necessary.

 

Here's the lesson. We have a “Call Button” to the Lord at our disposal. In our reading, the Lord says to Jeremiah, “Call to me and I will answer you, rand will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known” (v. 3). He will do that for us every time we seek Him! Humbled and grateful to have been reminded of His grace, I slept fine the rest of the night. He responds to every request for His help from His children.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment