Thursday, September 3, 2015

Walking the Ridgeline

Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD; I will take joy in the God of my salvation. GOD, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me tread on my high places. (Habakkuk 3:17-19 ESV). Yesterday I wrote a little about maintaining trust in the difficult circumstances of life. Today, I began to think a bit about what that looks like practically. Where I deer hunt the land is rolling Tennessee hills. It is beautiful, though somewhat challenging to walk. Some of the ridges are high and getting to them is a hike! But, if you want the advantage, the ridge line is the place to be. It is the “high place.” Today's reading is a magnificent description of a heart that holds on to joy by faith. The prophet looked around him and knew he was in a season of deep trouble and need. But in spite of all the negative circumstances, he said, "I will rejoice in the Lord. I will be joyful in my God… He makes my feet like the deer’s; he makes me tread on my high places." The prophet is saying that God knows how to put us in the perfect place and the perfect time. He gives us the advantage of the ridge line! I know it doesn’t feel that way sometimes. However, God wants us to experience joy as believers, not a fickle happiness that depends on circumstances or changes with the things of life. He wants us to possess a joy that remains in spite of what may be taking place around us. Anyone can be relatively happy when things are going well. But when you face adversity or sickness or hardship and then rejoice, you show that something supernatural has occurred in your life. In fact, you show yourself to be a real Christian. This is a unique trait of believers, that we can rejoice when things go wrong. How do we do it? We find the key in Philippians 4:4: "Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!" Paul didn't say to rejoice in circumstances. Rather, he said to rejoice in the Lord. In other words, God is still on the throne. You're still going to heaven. You're still forgiven. God still has a plan for your life; He has not abandoned you. We need to take joy in the Lord always. That is the key. I recognize that in spite of what I may be going through right now, His plans for me are still good. And He will never leave or forsake me. Perhaps today is a time for you to climb back to the top of your hill and walk along the ridgeline. It is easier up there; and, you can see both sides. I have found my understanding of circumstances gets clearer when I get to my high place. I get there by rejoicing in the Lord. Join me on the ridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment