Friday, October 24, 2014

More Last Words

But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. (1 Thessalonians 4:13-14 ESV). "I finally realized, and it became my desire, that I would be the best man that I possibly could for God, that I could be the best husband that I could for Evelyn, and be the best father that I could for my children, and to do everything I can to make sure that they know about Jesus and hope that they come to a point in their lives where they ask Jesus to be their Savior. And I thought if I could do that, and at the end of my life look back, that would be what really mattered to me, not whether or not I was an astronaut or anything else." (Rick Husband, Commander of Space Shuttle Columbia). The above words were spoken at the First Presbyterian Church in Amarillo, Texas in 1999 after Lt. Col. Rick Husband had made his first shuttle flight to the International Space Station. He was explaining to a home-town congregation he had once been a member of how he had tried three times to realize his goal of becoming an astronaut and finally turned the whole thing over to God: "For a long time, I wanted to (be an astronaut) for all the wrong reasons. I wanted to do it for selfish reasons, like I thought that would be a neat thing to do . . . Several years ago, God brought me to a point in my life where I was able to give that up and realize what my desires really were." Then, on his fourth try he was accepted on God's terms. Submission to God is the most important, and perhaps most difficult thing about following Christ. Right Priorities. Rick Husband's priorities ring out loud and clear: Jesus, spouse, children and job in that order. Not many of us can say our priorities have always been as biblical. Though Rick had planned to become an astronaut from the age of 4, and had tremendous drive to accomplish everything he set out to do, it took him four tries to become accepted by NASA. Then he turned it all over to God and let Him take over. Jesus First. He and fellow Columbia crewman Michael Anderson were currently members of Grace Community Church in Clear Lake near Houston. Their pastor says both men were strong, born again believers and there is no doubt as to where they are today. The pastor also said that Husband had hoped to lead Israeli crewman Ilan Ramon (a non-religious Jew) to the Lord. We'll never know the outcome of that this side of heaven. Spouse Second. Neighbors of the Husbands in Amarillo have all said what a family man Rick was. Children Third. "It's something that I wish I had learned a lot earlier, but I'm certainly glad I learned it when I did . . . because on this (1999 Shuttle) mission, it was a fantastic trip and amazing experience. But when I think of the times when I've gotten to tuck my daughter in at night and sing to her and have her ask me questions about things that she's thinking about, or when our little 3 year old son runs in completely naked to give me a kiss after his bath, I think I wouldn't trade any of those things for a ride in space because it wouldn't be worth it." Then, job fourth. How are your priorities?

No comments:

Post a Comment