Monday, September 9, 2024

The Abundance of Jesus' Provision

 

In those days, when again a great crowd had gathered, and they had nothing to eat, he called his disciples to him and said to them, “I have compassion on the crowd, because they have been with me now three days and have nothing to eat. And if I send them away hungry to their homes, they will faint on the way. And some of them have come from far away.” And his disciples answered him, “How can one feed these people with bread here in this desolate place?” And he asked them, “How many loaves do you have?” They said, “Seven.” And he directed the crowd to sit down on the ground. And he took the seven loaves, and having given thanks, he broke them and gave them to his disciples to set before the people; and they set them before the crowd. And they had a few small fish. And having blessed them, he said that these also should be set before them. And they ate and were satisfied. And they took up the broken pieces left over, seven baskets full. And there were about four thousand people. And he sent them away. And immediately he got into the boat with his disciples and went to the district of Dalmanutha. (Mark 8:1-10 ESV).

 

In today’s reading, Jesus has compassion for a huge crowd of people again—and this time it’s simply because they are hungry! When the disciples raise the question of available resources, Jesus begins with a resource inventory. Seven loaves and a few small fish are way too few for feeding so many people. But what the disciples are not counting, of course, is the compassion of Jesus. What’s more, he only asks us to give what we have, and he will provide all that is needed.

 

I often find that there’s a big gap between my available resources and the needs I hear about. In effect, the disciples have asked a particularly critical question: How can the needs of the world be met? They see the gap and do not yet see that the answer is standing right in front of them. This is a lesson I am forever learning. I tally up what I have, and it is not enough for all the needs around me. I do not have enough time, patience, hospitality, skills, wisdom, energy, or finances. But Jesus doesn’t ask me if I have enough; he asks what I have—and in his hands he will make it enough.

 

What about you? I hope you know that Jesus will take and use what you have to extend holy compassion to others.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment