Friday, August 16, 2024

Asking, Seeking, and Knocking

 

[Jesus said] “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!” (Matthew 7:7-12 ESV).

 

After reading the first six verses of this chapter we might be a bit perplexed. Jesus says we are not to judge others and then tells us to be very careful about giving pearls to swine or holy things to dogs. The first time I read this as a new believer I wondered how I was supposed to tell the difference between being judgmental and then exclusivistic toward those who would not open themselves to the truth of God. The key is found in our reading today. We need to ask.

 

I do most of the grocery shopping for Mary and I. My preference is the smaller of the stores nearby. I have found that I can easily walk every aisle and shop at my leisure for those things we “need.” It has a very good produce and meat section which I appreciate. The employees are always helpful. It is not unusual for me to be wandering the aisles and one of them stop their restocking to ask if I am finding everything I need, or if they can help me get something. My typical response is that I am just browsing and don’t need anything special.

 

The root of that response is I don’t like asking for help. That’s probably true for you as well. We don’t want others to think that we aren’t good enough or smart enough to solve our own problems. Unfortunately, we bring this mentality into our relationship with God. We act as if everything in our life depends on us, instead of leaning on God and aiming to live in line with his will (cf. Matthew 6:10).

 

Jesus encourages us to turn to God—just as a child turns to a parent—and to ask for the things we need. We can trust that God loves us enough to provide. This includes asking for wisdom and discernment in our relationships with others. I wonder if we did this more often than not whether we would say or do some of the things we say, or do some of the things we do? Ask… He will always give you what you need.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment